Friday, June 3, 2011

Gunsmoke star James Arness dies


One of the great cowboy actors has died. He was only 86 years old. James Arness was the star of the TV show Gunsmoke which aired for 20 years from 1955 to 1975. 635 episodes! His character was Matt Dillon (like the actor whose real name is Matt Dillon, confusing).

Gunsmoke was a landmark show because it was different than the kid friendly westerns of the past. This show was for adults, but kids could enjoy it also.

I remember watching it growing up, I was too little to really appreciate it. But now I've seen reruns and it is pretty entertaining.

When I was little I was confused about the role of Miss Kitty, played by Amanda Blake. What role did her character play in society? My father had to finally break it to me when I was 10 years old, "She's a prostitute!" he proclaimed. I thought she was real purdy back then. Here is a picture of Miss Kitty with Matt Dillon (James Arness' character):


Someone posted this YouTube video of John Wayne introducing the show before the first airing. They wanted to make sure the audience knew that the show was for adults. With John Wayne backing it, it has to be good!



James, although I haven't even thought of you in 30 years, I'll miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment