Friday, June 24, 2011

Peter Falk Died


Peter Falk died yesterday at his home. He was 83 years old. He had Alzheimer’s disease.

Peter Falk is most known for his character Columbo which he played for 35 years on TV.

He has an official website at peterfalk.com. You can learn all about him there. Be patient - his website is understandably slow today.

Interestingly I've had several Peter Falk experiences. Several years ago Peter gave a talk at the Friar's Club in Los Angeles. My friend Bud was there and bought Peter's book Just One More Thing and got Peter to sign it. He gave me the book, I read it. Here is the signature page:
The book was entertaining. It was fun to read about his career. He was talented, but was also very lucky. He has a masters degree in public administration. He worked for Marshal Tito in Yugoslavia. Interesting.

You may wonder why his eyes looked weird. One eye is a glass eye. When he was very young he had retina blastoma, an eye cancer.

I will keep the book. He signed the book, so the side of his palm may have touched the page. A few skin cells may have come off. If the ever are able to clone people from DNA, I'll donate my book to science so they can clone another Peter Falk.

Then, several months ago I was watching the German movie Wings of Desire. The movie was in German, but it starred Peter Falk! Peter doesn't speak German, so all his lines were in English. Nobody seemed to care.

Peter Falk in Wings of Desire

It was a strange film, particularly strange that Peter Falk was in it. But after the movie I decided it was actually a very touching movie. I recommend it.

Goodbye Peter Falk! We'll miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment