Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Pot Holders vs. Oven Mitt

Over the constant din of human chatter I occasionally hear something that makes my right ear perk up and point. It happened again the other day.

"A lot of people don't really know what a pot holder is.", I heard a young woman (teenager!) say recently.

"What do you mean?" I replied.

She went on to tell me that there is a confusion about what exactly a pot holder is. If she tells her friends she made a pot holder, they ask her what that is.

I had to admit, I was drawing a blank! It was very embarrassing. I am starting to have senior moments. It had been soooo long since I've last even thought of a pot holder and it's place in society. I guess over the years in my mind I was just referring to them as those square thingies in the drawer.

So here I am to set everyone straight.

The square thingy in the picture is a pot holder. It is used for the same purposes as an oven mitt, but is used in situations where less manual dexterity is needed in hot oven situations.

Photo credit: The images above are from http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=983146&navAction=jump&navCount=

Note: I am not associated with the sellers of these products. I just used their picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment